Tuesday, March 17, 2009

In True Journalistic Style........."Working from Home"

Considering that Anne was nearly married to "Elements of Style" and the many intricacies of Pagemaker graphic design software from about 8th grade on, you could definitely say that she values the written word and it's presentation. She also values asking people random questions (heck, she's even been paid to do it!) However, it appears the tables have been turned after signing on to Jen's offer of interview questions. The rule? Read through the questions sent via email and then post their answers to the blog. It should be mentioned here that Anne's interviewer met her on the first day of kindergarten, so there was a lot of potential for asking things like: "When you slept over at my sister Amy and I's house, wasn't that the first time you had ever stayed in town?" To which Anne would reply, " Yes, and I just couldn't understand how anyone could sleep through such traffic noise and lights and people going in and out of their houses. That's why I asked your very amused Mom to let me play the piano, since sleeping was impossible. What can I say...I was a strange little kid." Fortunately, Jen let Anne off fairly easily this time (although this is certainly NOT an invite for different questions). Therefore, without further ado - here is the first part of five questions in no particular order:

JEN: "What's the biggest benefit from working at home? What's the biggest challenge?"

ANNE: -Pulling laundry out of the dryer- "The biggest benefit from working at home is definitely being with Gwen throughout the day. It allows me the unique position of earning additional income and having a career, while at the same time giving Gwen time with a parent and not having to worry about childcare. Just a minute....my office line is ringing. -Answers brief call regarding a producer lobbying event in DC next month-

"Okay, I'm back. Sorry about that! The thing is, I always felt strongly that there must be a way to have both a satisfying life in the business world, as well as being the best mom possible. I grew up on a ranch where both parents were accesible and the family spent a lot of time together, even if it was just a day trip into the Blues Mountains or for a picnic at home. The working life and home life seemed to just merge, like it does for many farm families."

"I think many people view those of us that work from home with jealously, assuming that calls are made, meetings arranged and paperwork filed all from the comfort of one's jammies. That couldn't be further from the truth. I've found that to be a successful thinker (and doer), you have to dress the part. If you wouldn't be caught dead in your PJs at the "real" office, then you'd better not do it at home. It sounds silly, but I just think and speak better when I feel semi-professional. The other part is to always have some sort of project going that keeps you fully interested. In an office of one, there can definitely be mundane tasks. But there is no 'official dress code, no 'offical' schedule of hours (other than my 20 per wk), and nothing forbiding me from catching up the laundry while waiting for a call. However, its much easier to stay motivated when you set a schedule of tasks for yourself and keep up progress. Aside from Miss Gwen's needs that aren't scheduled..hang on another sec, while I change the baby...." -Heads into back room, where her Highness receives a full change of clothes-

"Overall, the home office is extremely rewarding because you can work independently. I also think better at various times during the day, so it is totally possible for me to do household things mid-morning and then work on press releases or financials in the afternoon, with a hot cup of tea and some good music. Gwen can sit and play on her blanket right next to me. It is these moments that I wouldn't trade for the world. I also have the amazing freedom of working on various projects, both here in the home/shop area and in other places too. CUPS would not happen if I had a set schedule, nor could I coach 4H Shooting Sports, quilt with a close friend or do such a wide variety of social things that keep me well-adjusted and sane!"

"I also get to have two different lives. Part of that is trying to have the split personality of a working mom, and part of it has to do with our geographic location in general. Jordan is one of the most remote locations in the Lower 48. People here usually see me in jeans and a button-up shirt or sweashirt. This is 'Relaxed Anne' and it's nice to not have to don a suit to go to the bank. The majority of the local population would flip if they saw me wearing something more dressy than cowboy boots. I like that aspect, because a vast majority of these people are friends and I'm more known here as Anne Miller, The County Agent's Wife than anything else."

"But, when I travel throughout the state and US for meetings, I usually am wearing a skirt, dress or suit and always have heels and nylons. It's basically 'Working Anne's' unform and I can't imagine showing up for a board meeting or at a national meeting in jeans. In fact, I even get self-conscious when checking into a high-end business hotel and I have flown over in jeans that day. Usually, I go change before going back down to the restaurant for lunch. It can be hard at times because the folks that see 'Anne Relaxed' can't quite imagine 'Anne Formal' and visa versa. But at the same time, it's like having this crazy secret life in which I can fit both aspects of my personality into one place. Out helping sort someones heifers one day and into a suit the next "

"Since I'm one of the youngest State Execs in the country (if not THE youngest), when I am at meetings, I'm still trying to prove myself and surpass the myth that a mom that works from home and is also under the age of 30 isn't truly serious about her career. Fortunately, there are several of us doing the same thing that I do from home and we have the full support of the national offices. But it's amazing sometimes at the sudden change in some people when you tell them you have a home office and especially when you tell them your daughter is under the age of one. I can happily say that I have never had a producer do this in a negative fashion, nor anyone on staff that I work with directly. But it does happen when talking to suppliers, hotels and other businesses. One chirp in the background from Gwen and suddenly my call is not so important, my question is not so burning and surely, I can't be serious about having that particular guest speaker appear at my next meeting. It's very frustrating and I make a lot of calls from a coat closet!"

"That said, I would be completely unable to do what I do without the complete and utter support of a husband. He is the one urging me to keep going whenever I bog down and who tells me that he can make it work, when I worry about having to be gone. Our friends have also gone above and beyond to help us with babysitting in these situations. Eric and I both have jobs that can begin with a 6am phone call or involve us off and doing our duties over a weekend. But we also have jobs that allow the flexibility of heading to visit family or going for an afternoon outing when need be too. Okay, its about lunchtime, are you hungry?" -Gets sandwiches ready and baby food for Gwen-

I think by far the biggest challenge is that, technically speaking, with a home office you are always at work. Even when I am headed to bed and walk by the fax machine, its hard not to pick up and read the memo sent that afternoon. And when the phone rings, and you are playing cards late one night with friends, its hard to just ignore the call. I'm getting better at it but I feel a partial responsibility in being available to people since they have allowed me this setup with so many overall benefits to my family life. Quite the Catch 22, isn't it? Without the work, we couldn't pull off the family life, but without the family life what is the point of all the work? All in all, it is definitely worth it!

6 comments:

  1. I work from home, too, as you know. The tricky thing is sounding calm and professional on the phone when the kid squeezes the frog to death in the bathtub and is in hysterics, or when the toddler empties Gold Bond powder all over the porch and is shouting, "I DID IT, MOMMY!" Which is why I like to conduct most business via computer.

    The best thing, to me, is that I'm there for the frog hugging and the anti-fungus-ing of the cats. And if I get the call to move cows, the office shuts down.

    You'll get over the guilt, playing cards. I mean, it's not like they have a camera, watching your every move. THANK GOODNESS!

    Go mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you there, Mary--some of the things going on in the background occasionally cause me to hold my breath while on a call to keep me from laughing/crying/both. I split my days (two from home, two in the office) and have found the same thing you have, Anne--I follow the same routine no matter which office I'm working in. I never work in my PJs, I follow a schedule...it's the only way to feel effective (for me, at least). Good for you for finding a balance! And it's a great opportunity for Eric to get some Dad time in with Gwennie...I know Anna loves her Daddy time on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I came on to remind you to change your blog background and see you already have! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband works from home and sometimes I must admit I am quite jealous! It is interesting to read about your experience--we haven't had kids yet but I can definitely see the work-at-home appeal from a mom's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, I love hearing about your lives!! Amazing~

    I was blessed to stay home when the kids were little & had a daycare in my house when we lived in Germany. Loved having the kids in the house...my kids always had someone to play with!

    Now that I'm teaching here in theSpokane area, I'm out of the house most days. I also love being "relaxed" Kerri and "at work" Kerri. Hmmm, where can I get a pair of cowboy boots?

    It's nice to meet you! We'll have to work on those Starbucks drinks~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa-- I'm really out of touch! I didn't realize you were still working part time. And it sounds like you have a really cool job, whatever it is. Thanks for providing some insight on this. It's something I think about a lot and I was just telling a friend this evening that while I think I would love to be at home with kids to an extent, I would have a hard time not being plugged into my former life in some ways. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete