Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The $64 Tomato, By William Alexander


My good friend Mary (and Underground Bookclub partner in crime) handed me a good read this spring. I confess that it took hauling it around awhile on airplanes and in cars (just when I was passenger) before I actually took the time to crack it open. However, once I did, the husband was subjected to the person beside him in bed snickering to herself. At times, he was even required to read various passages and, when he politely declined, she went on a read them aloud anyway.

But seriously, who could blame me. The author opens each chapter with quotes like:
" There's only one sure way to tell the weeds from the vegetables. If you see anything growing, pull it up. If it grows again, it was a weed." - Corey Ford
"Advice to the Home Gardener" Look, September 2, 1954

At times you will wonder if William would have done better at simply burning his wallet than hiring a landscape architect to design a vegetable garden. However, from his practical challenges with going green (ie organic) in the fruit orchard to the "cereal killer" eating his corn stalks and battles with "Superchuck" the groundhog...the man certainly does entertain.




No comments:

Post a Comment